« San Francisco Botanical Gardens | Main | Lone Star Sunday »

9 juli 2006

Does Your Windows Suck, Too?

...when Color Correction is important

I know almost nothing about color correction, except insofar as what ColorSync's job is, but the proof is in the pudding.

I fired up Parallels Desktop software to run -shudder- Windows XP to see how Aperture did at rendering its Web Galleries for Windows. Since I'm running Firefox on XP, I only need a shower: IE and I'd have to boil myself or something.

Anyhow, my images looked much more fabulous on Safari on Mac OS X. I took screen shots of the same image on both platforms. Which means the bits are different, so you should, even on a Windows box, be able to notice a difference. Of course that means that you Windows folks will see double-happy-shittiness on the first pic and only single shittiness on the second one.

Picture 3 Picture 4

Maybe there's something else going on, but overall, my Windows experiences have been much like this. A pale imitation that is never quite right.

Why are my pictures washed out when the rest of the standard XP UI is so garishly vivid that it hurts my eyes?

Technorati Tags

Posted by jeff at 9 juli 2006 14:30

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Because, as usual, Microsoft's GUI design team is about 6 years behind. Remember how *bright* the original Aqua was? :)

Posted by: Lee(Skittles) Author Profile Page at 9 juli 2006 18:23

Does that mean I'm better looking on an Apple computer?

Posted by: homer at 10 juli 2006 10:06

Everyone looks better on a Mac. And in front of one. ;)

Posted by: GodOfBiscuits Author Profile Page at 10 juli 2006 10:18

Pod people, all of you.

Posted by: Joe.My.God. at 10 juli 2006 13:02

Hmmm...pod people....Yes, Microsoft. Whatever you say, Microsoft. We'll accept mediocrity because there's nothing other than you, Microsoft. Thank you, Microsoft, may I have another?

Posted by: GodOfBiscuits Author Profile Page at 10 juli 2006 13:09

iPod people, actually. And, Dear Joseph, you've been assimilated too!

Posted by: Lee(Skittles) Author Profile Page at 10 juli 2006 20:24

And don't we even look better on a 17" Mac screen. I know I do. ;-)

Hey ~ Jeff...do you know if CAD is capable of running on the new MAC portables? Someone told me it was if you had windows installed. Don't shot me for asking about a Microsoft application but I need to use CAD and I so much prefer my Apple! Trying toavoid picking up an IBM-compatible.

Posted by: Tony at 11 juli 2006 22:03

because to mac bigots, pretentious and elitests, when you overspend on shit equipment, you get what you pay for. $3000 for an iCrap? Sorry, I can custom build a better machine and guess what - it would look better on windows 95 even.
See, I like to be able to run whatever software I want on my pc because the iTard suite of software, photoshop and a mishmash together out of date bsd and rehashed os 9.x just dosen't make me feel good about dropping 3g's on piece of crap macintrash.

Posted by: who cares at 19 juli 2006 15:44

For gosh sakes....keep breathing, "who cares"!

You just got done tirading about how much better you are because you build a PC yourself and call Mac folks elitists in the process? You're gonna get stretchmarks.

You didn't address anything I said in the post. Care to try again?

Posted by: GodOfBiscuits Author Profile Page at 19 juli 2006 15:59